Pages

"She seemed to come suddenly upon happiness as if she had surprised a butterfly in the Winter woods"
(edith wharton)


Friday 28 August 2009

looking for a sense of Identity ~ a sense of self

following along the Artists Way.. I needed desperately to find an object that represents my identity. And I stumbled. what? what was something that could truly represent me. or rather something that I could relate to as my identity. there were many I pulled from my thoughts.. but one? I looked around my home.. rosary beads hanging from mirrors and picture frames, exuding a sense of identity somewhere for me, crosses? no, even though I have many of them here at Inglewood, there was just too much religious dogma attached to that symbol for me.. was it the many pieces of Cornwall that I had around my home? the rocks & shells, the photos,? no, even though my roots were there, I didn't feel a connection to those items for my self. then I realised that what it was for me was the Divine Feminine... St. Therese, Mother Mary and Mary Magdalene. When I looked at the many statues I have, I felt a sense of identity. that was me.

at first, I didn't want to really acknowledge this because of the connection to the formalised religion that most associate with these women... but after sitting with that thought for awhile, I realised that those connections were actually man-made, they were not really what my spirit was identifying with...

what my spirit was identifying with was that these women, mortal just like me, trusted their inner wisdom. They followed their spirit, even if they had no idea where it would lead, they trusted in the Universe. And each time I look at the statues in my home, I connect with that in myself. my sense of identity. my wisdom. My Divine Feminine within.

16 comments:

Diva Kreszl said...

These women were wise, caring, reverent in times when women were barely recognized...you have chosen wisely to associate yourself with them!

Holly said...

Bravo! Stunning and I so enjoyed this.

Anonymous said...

I think every mom agrees with you. I try very hard to keep Mary in my front mind when I am mothering my daughter and nephew.

Enjoyed Your Post :)

gma said...

Robyn, I totally understand this.
Sending peace from who we are...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Robyn, and so true.Happy weekend ahead to you friend.xox

judipatootie said...

It is a beautiful Identity

Meredith said...

This is beautiful, Robyn. I can definitely feel the Divine Feminine at your core in your posts. (That last one about where you are from really awed me, it was so deep and had such a rhythm and flow to it, I was almost half-hypnotized by the beauty of it.)

I can feel some of the Feminine energy in your careful nurturing guidance of this Artist's Way cluster. Thank you for what you have so generously given to us all.

Have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAUyx2wm5Wk&feature=related
I linked to it on my blog, it moves me every time I watch it. It's a dancer interpreting the private rapture of Mary Magdalene.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

She is calling your name.

Grammy said...

That is wonderful to come to that conclusion. I would not be able to begin to figure out what represents my identity.
As I am still searching for it. I have spent so many years being mom, now grandma. I am on a path to wisdom of my self. The real me.

Tori said...

How wonderful that you can look at those statues and identify with the women they represent! That is a powerful thing.

I am searching for my own sense of identity, and it seems to be only making me more confused. The things I connect with are so different. Both sides feel right, but they should clash. I guess I am still working on it. :)

mel said...

I really admire your ability to separate the religious dogma from the Truth with these images and representations of the Divine Feminine. I struggle a LOT with this and have a great difficulty with forgiving the Church it's abuse and repression of women over the centuries...and figures of the Virgin etc. are painful reminders of that....

I guess it's a lot of *work* that needs doing on my part...

Kathryn Knoll said...

This is wonderful. It is something I hope all women come to. Being at one and whole with herself. This is a very powerful realization because it tosses away all the old ways we are defined and valued. It is also, then, how we get in touch with our true power. I like it! Keep those insights and knowings coming....

Laurie said...

I have always felt a connection to Mother Mary and St. Therese. I love how you put your thoughts into words. Connecting with their spirit, their inner wisdom. That is awesome. The more I learn about the church (Catholic) and what it is truly based on, the more I distance myself away from it. But I still hold a reverance for Mary. I always find a sense of comfort there.
Hugs))

Fire Byrd said...

The Divine Feminine, what else?
that is all, and that is enough.
xx

Anonymous said...

I really connect with Mother Mary too. I actually think we share the same birthdate. Have you been to Ireland? You would love it SOOO much there. There are Mary shrines everywhere (not to mention all the other Catholic retro stuff that I read you like)! Even in the middle of nowhere, just when you think there's nothing around, there'll be a Mary shrine. They were always such peaceful places and a place of safety. They were always beautiful. I want to go back and take a photo log of all the different Mary shrines there.

J C said...

Beautiful, honest post Robyn. xoxoxo