Pages

"She seemed to come suddenly upon happiness as if she had surprised a butterfly in the Winter woods"
(edith wharton)


Thursday 4 March 2010

a story with pictures

When I first met dutch husband he was half way through building a house.

[the home above, was built by dutch husband. he did all the carpentry work, inside and out]
When we married, we moved into the house, settled in, started a garden and I decided it needed a name. Dutch husbands favourite movie (or one of them) was Casablanca, so I chose that as a name, even though the house was not white [eventually we did paint the house white, with blue trim so that it could live up to its name]
Then we moved after about 8 yrs there ~ during those 8 years, our darling daughter was born ~ Sophie ~ [who you can see in the above photo. I think she is eating a banana] ~ these were some of the best years of my life
we moved from acres of land to a cul-de-sac and built our dream home (or so we thought)

a bagged Georgian style mansion.[sorry about the quality of photo above, it is scanned]
Complete with every single thing that one girl could need in this modern world. And I hated it. I knew from the time I slept there the very first night, that it was not my home ~ it was just a house.. being new, to me it had no soul.. we stayed there a year to the day of moving in [i later found out that i the land had been an aboriginal site of some kind, which could explain the odd energies that i often felt]

[in the photo above, you can get the gist of what the home was like. ~ lots of cottage flowers, lots of collectables. we just did not fit into the area with our eccentric tastes]

Oneday dutch husband was looking for an old home to buy and renovate to sell and he took me to see this little ramshackle cottage…run down, flea and cat infested house. An over grown garden with a backbone of established trees. And I fell in love. The ancient apple tree in the backyard, clinched it for me…

and so began Inglewood.
[I do have some photos of the house when we first bought it.. but cannot find them at the moment, I am sure they will be discovered while I am packing - oh my lord! packing, I didn't think of that!!]

I do believe my job is done here at Inglewood.. I came and tended the garden, bringing magick into it, welcoming the nature divas back, creating a haven for those elementals, for the butterflies, the lizards, birds and dragonflies. I have planted a healing disc under the old pine tree and gridded the property with crystal energies.. and now it is time to move on. To create another haven at my new home.
what an adventure! the name? I do have one chosen but that is a story maybe for tomorrow!!

15 comments:

laoi gaul~williams said...

how exciting robyn :)

i can imagine all the thoughts and ideas in your mind right now~i just know your new home will come to be as wonderful and loved as Inglewood

amelia said...

Lovely story and some lovely homes.
I hope you don't ever have regrets about leaving Inglewood..

gma said...

Oh Robyn,I moved a lot as a child so I have personal feelings about this matter. Sometimes after a move there was regret. There were also times of excitement moving into a new house and turning it into a home. I am sure you've weighed the options. Wishing you and DH much happiness wherever you be for always and always.

Anonymous said...

Love these photos Robyn - and the histories. This is all very exciting! Are you having fun looking through photos?...that and weeding through bookshelves and you wonder where time goes! Will soon be the weekend - what a week it's been for you.Hope you can relax a bit. xx

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Why did you choose the name "Inglewood"? Does it have some special significance for you or did the house just "feel" like that should be its name?

Imogen said...

Told like that, it becomes a beautiful journey, to move from house to house. To be able to look back on a family raised, and house made into a home, a garden restored to itself and Mother nature's blessing... Here's to many more years of happiness to come, in the new home and the new garden.

Anonymous said...

Your husband has gouden handen ( golden hands) as they say in The Netherlands. Those houses are very beautiful.
I'm sure he can make a little palace of the new house too ; )

Fire Byrd said...

How exciting to have this new project to focus on. Just stay well now and it will flow as it should.
xx

Janet said...

I'm sure whoever buys Inglewood will find it filled with love and good spirit.

I tend to like older houses, ones that have been lived in before. New is nice but it seems stark and sterile to me....with no heart.

Diva Kreszl said...

you do have a knack for bringing out a home's true beauty! can't wait to see what's ahead in your new home!

Beatnheart said...

Tears in my eyes and shivers...What fabulous homes you have lived in...wow and wow again...You have a gift to create such beauty and your old man!!! whew..lucky,lucky lady...Yeah, those vibes on the place..heavy stuff...places here in Calif. have landslides etc..then they found out ancient Indian burial grounds...Hope to visit your new beautiful home some day...your awesome...c

Beatnheart said...

Did I forget to publish my comment?? where the heck did I go...lucky I came back...It was a good comment..you would have liked it...anyhow I'm here again to say I looked at your other blog...Let me get this straight..is it your cats blog?? LOve ,luv ,LOVE that background cat wallpaper...Wm. Morris ish...x c

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Oh Robyn how exciting. I wish I could buy Inglewood♥ There is one very blessed family who will take over your reins and cherish every part of Inglewood that you and DH have created♥ Cannot wait to hear (and see?) all about your new home. Home is where the heart is♥ xoxo

Serena Lewis said...

I loved this post where you have shared some of your previous homes up to Inglewood. We have rented the house we currently live in from the time it was built (3 years come July)...new gives the opportunity to add a little of yourself yet I dream of living in an old Queenslander near the sea.

I'm kinda sad to read that you are leaving Inglewood after you have breathed so much of yourself into it but, sometimes, we feel the urge to move on. I wish you well in the next phase of your life, Robyn. xo

Imogen said...

I like Moncha's ducth phrase - so your fella has "golden hands" and you have Green Fingers - seems like a good combination.

Thinking of you in this tense time; you will come through...