Pages

"She seemed to come suddenly upon happiness as if she had surprised a butterfly in the Winter woods"
(edith wharton)


Tuesday 10 June 2008

the Gypsy caravan & Oak

over the weekend, while I was at the Gypsy Caravan.. childhood memories came floating back while I read Women who run with the Wolves.... back to school yard times and a mighty Oak that was my magickal friend...I wrote in my journal: "I remember collecting acorns.. lots of them, gathering them for reasons unknown to my little girl self.... was this a past life memory piece? when I may have collected them for magickal spells and charms? I loved that tree, I can still see it. I know exactly where it stood" . As I sat and wrote in my journal, I travelled back to that time in the playground.. it was like I was there once again.

We had a wonderful time over the weekend, it rained so I didn't get to walk along the beach, but I snuggled under a blanket and read. I listened to the Jabiru's and I found a seat that I can sit on in the early mornings, when the weather is kinder.

above is a photo looking into our bedroom.. still alot to do. I want to paint the walls purple, with dark red trims..It is all coming together nicely, I made some velvet curtains to hang in the bedroom door and I adorned some other curtains with tuille and beads.. I bought myself a gorgeous crystal macrame hanger.. with a huge rose quartz terminal hanging down.. it now hangs in our bedroom.. we went to a scarecrow festival and wandered through market stalls... a wonderfully relaxing weekend. I really love the Gypsy caravan and I just wish i could let you feel what it is like to be there.

I haven't posted Celtic tree Lore in ages.... while reading Daisy's blog the other day, I came across the Oak, which is the tree for the 7th Moon of the Celtic year. Next week, I am making a wand in my Wild Woman Group and am still deciding whether to use Apple or Oak... can a witch have more than one wand?
in Daisy's words:
from the 10th of June we have the 7th Moon of the Celtic Year, the month of the Oak - Duir, (Duir meaning door.)
The Oak has always protected England from time immemorial, it was the sacred tree of the Druids, they had their Oak Groves.
The Oak is one of the three most sacred trees, Oak, Ash and Thorn and is thereby known as King of the Grove. English legend believes that King Arthur's Round Table was made from a massive slab of Oak tree. The oak is allied to the element of Fire and is ruled by the Sun. It has associations with the Oak or Green man who is a potent symbol in English folklore.


The bird connected to this Oak Month is the wren and the stone is moonstone.
The parts of the Oak used are the bark, wood, leaves, and acorns, which I will leave until last, as they are another interesting part of Oaklore. Oak bark tea is very astringent and is thought to be good for sinus infections. Oak can be used in spells of healing and fertilitiy, protection, strength and success. One belief is if you listen to the Oak at the Summer Solstice you can hear what the future holds by listening to the wind rustling through its leaves. Oakwood is a very powerful protection herb and are used as land boundary markers because of this. Also an Oakleaf worn next to your heart is said to protect the wearer from decption and falsehood. Try a handful of Oak leaves in your bath to cleanse you in body and spirit
Acorns, themselves are very useful and powerful small items. Acorns are said to be able to increase fertility, not just of the body but your creative fertility too. Play with a couple in your hand to ease pain or put some in your window or on your windowsill to deflect lightning and protect you from night creatures of evil intent. You can also carry them in your pocket for basically the same reasons, to protect from storms, from getting lost and from those spirits or people intent on ill wishes towards you. Three acorns threaded together can be made into a charm to preserve youthfulness and to help you achieve in life. You must thread a piece of your hair with the three acorns, and bless them every new moon and full moon, for twelve months. Acorns can also be planted in the dark moon days to bring financial rewards. You must harvest the Oak tree by the waning moon. The acorns in daylight and the wood and leaves at night. Don't forget that part of your Summer Solistice fire should be of Oak wood.

and by Glennie Kindred:
It is a very magick think to find a pool of water hidden within the boughs of the tree, and to know that this pure rainwater has been soaking up all the herbal and spiritual properties of the Oak. It is worth returning to the tree with a jar to collect the water in.
For generations upon generations, people have gone to sit beneath the mighty Oak to gain strength and spiritual renewal. The outside world can be forgotten and the inner world can slip back into perspective. The Oak can help you to find new understanding and vision, gained from your experiences. This in turn will bring strength and courage to fact whatever life has to offer you. The Oak tree's mighty presence will help restore faith in ourselves and withi this lies the ability to go ahead and aim for what we most want in life. It is well worth finding the time to go and sit with an Oak tree and to receive the qualities it has to offer us. Remember to thank the tree after each communications, not because the tree needs your thanks but to keep open your channels of love and respect for the tree kingdom and all of nature. This will enhance your ability to receive their qualities on the deepest level.
(Originally published at Beltane 1998)
ooh and don't forget to visit the Enchanted Forest.. the Oak has made a visit!

23 comments:

Kim Campbell said...

I love the drapes! So pretty!!

linda may said...

I the curtains look great. I like the idea of closing them up and hiding behind them and staying for a couple of hours absorbed in a book. Your own little cubby house.

Ruth said...

Your Gypsy home looks really cosy - like our campervan (sigh - she is still off the road.) I wonder if we were both gypsy women in a past life?

Peggy said...

Sounds like you had a perfect weekend. I too love your curtains and can't wait to see more photos of your gypsy caravan. Thank you so much for your loving words and thoughts about Nitro. I spent yesterday in tears. I miss my gentle king.

amelia said...

Maybe you could post a pic of your macrame hanger. I would love to see it. The curtains are lovely and your bedroom looks so cosy.

I can just imagine being in there and listening to the rain on the roof!!!

Suzie Ridler said...

That is just amazing that there are places like this that gypsy spirits can go to! I envy you Robyn, you have so many interesting things to go to and participate in.

I adore oak trees. I'm so happy I have some in my neighbourhood and look forward to the acorns in the fall.

A bird in the hand said...

I used to collect acorns when I was a child -- it was reading all those fairytales, I think. I used to look for magical places in the woods, nooks and secret places...
Your gypsy bed is fabulous!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Your room sounds great! I love the curtains and the purple and red will be nice too.

Leanne said...

oh I could snuggle in there with a book so easily too robyn!

Leanne x

Annie Jeffries said...

Dearest Robyn, I too was at the beach this weekend. More like being at the coast, exploring small towns and hearing the crash of the surf. Winds were high and so was the sea. I have a picture of you wrapped up with your book and hearing the rain outside. Very cozy. Annie

gma said...

This is a wonderful post Robyn. Your caravan looks delightful!I'll ask my daughter to bring some oak branches with her when she comes down the mountain...so we can put them in a midsummer fire.

Anonymous said...

What a yummy place to bunker down Robyn.It would bring back those childhood cubby feelings for sure.I remember the cosiness of a childhood tee-pee, and a cubby made out of mallee roots of all things! I bet your caravan makes you feel the same way.I love the small camping tent we have, so cosy and warm.

Bimbimbie said...

Hi Robyn what a fabulous spot to curl up and disappear into a book *!*

Anonymous said...

Your caravan looks so magical, I would love to see the new hanger you got ; )
Thank you so much for all the info. I will read it slowely again so that it will really sink in !!
I will fly over to the enchanted forest too, see you there ; )

Anonymous said...

Hey Robyn,
here's a link to the OBOD site which is international. I am still working on a course, the first grade, which is the bardic grade. You can do this in your own speed.

http://druidry.org/

It's a very nice site, have a look see ; )
So glad you found me again !!
Have a great day

Naturegirl said...

Robyn what a cozy retreat ..your bedroom! Love the folklore about the oak...I have a ~special acorn delivery~..you must see! filled with Joy NG

mrsnesbitt said...

We're back after a wonderful time at the Bike races in Isle of Man! Awesome holiday....now I too have the urge to start painting the house! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hey Robyn, you lost me, but now you found me again ; ) I have made a separate space again, if you click on my name, you will be taken to my Magic Meadow !!!
Have fun, see you there !!

Anonymous said...

Hey Robyn, just wanted to let you know that I got the book Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. I reserved it at the library, so I will be reading it, I can hardly wait !!!! Thanks for the tip
Monique

Caroline said...

Wonderful to see a hedgewitch posting... I'm sure I've been one in some other time but now I'm a 21st century shaman...

Caroline said...

Oh and I meant to say how beautiful your golden curtain is. Wonderful.

I had an aunt who used to teach gypsy children at summer schools in Somerset. She had a wonderful caravan too. I wish I had a photo of it...

She would often attempt to cure me with her brews but I tended to bring them straight back up... at the time I was allergic to honey and she was under the impression that if she didn't tell me there was honey in it I wouldn't notice... but my body did...

I wish she was still alive. I only really got to know her in her last few years...

Gosh you've brought back a whole lot of stuff for me now!

Cat said...

I love your bed!
I used to have a royal purple bedroom, it was pretty intense, now I settle for purple bedding.

laoi gaul~williams said...

reading about your gypsy home makes me want to pack up pippin and go off a'travelling again!

its funny reading this post but the day before you posted it i found a tiny oak growing in the middle of our lawn...just three little baby leaves. i made swampy dig it out carefully...acorn and all...and i planted it just as carefully into a large pot.
something tells me its a special little oak...