Pages

"She seemed to come suddenly upon happiness as if she had surprised a butterfly in the Winter woods"
(edith wharton)


Wednesday 1 August 2007

the flannel flower

Australia has some of the most exquiste native flowers than any where else in the world.... oh yes, I adore all the cottage garden plants, the lavenders, the foxgloves and the daisies.... but there is something unique about our native flora here in Oz... take for instance the little flannel flower.


This has to be my all time favourite wild flower. When we use to go on bush walks when I was little, I loved it when I stumbled across a bush of flannel flowers if they were blooming. I would touch them and pat them and sometimes pick one (it is illegal to pick flowers from the bushland but we were on my uncles property so that was ok *I think*), so that I could brush its soft little petals across my face. It was so comforting... the petals are just like flannelette to touch. Even now, when I come across a flannel flower, it takes me back to those times... times when I saw faeries sitting in the bottle brush tree..... there is a bush flower essence of flannel flower which is used for: addressing the child within * playfulness, to be carefree.

Since Daisy passed, I have just been drifting through my day, allowing myself to feel any emotion that I needed to heal my grief..., still 'doing' all my housework but without the usual joy of creating my nest... I woke this morning to see that my home needs some sparkle! So the next few days I am going to be getting my home into that space where it exudes love and peace once more..I will invoke the help of the goddess, Hestia and I can pick myself a huge bunch of flowers from my garden - daphne, roses, feverfew, violets and lavender and tuck them into an old glass jar.... light some candles and tonight a lovely dinner for two... the Moon is in the sign of Pisces and according to my Moon diary - a day to eat light and simple meals.. a day to have a foot massage... a time to start to think detoxification during the waning moon..

*~* I hope your day is filled with butterflies, magick, colour & fripperies! ~*~

14 comments:

Sweetpea said...

There is always special about the plants/flowers that are native to us and wild, not grown by ourselves. To grieve we should feel and experience all emotions necessary for us to do our everyday things xxx :)

Sweetpea said...

should have said 'something' special - missed a word x

Everydaythings said...

I adore the smell of violets!

Bimbimbie said...

I'm always amazed at the various native flowers and their hardiness to be able to not only survive but flower in the most exquisite ways. Mowing the grass in summer takes me twice as long as I mow around the native iris and rice flowers and anything else I happen to see flowering. The "bush lawn" always looks like someone has forgotten the direction the mower was headed *!* I stepped on some native? herbs in the bush on Saturday and the smell of anise and pineapple was wonderful.

Enjoy yourself adding the sparkle to your nest once again *!*

gma said...

Robyn...the flannel flowers are lovely.They have such delicate faces almost like daisies. I love the softness of flower petals on my face too. Enjoy your time with Hestia...she is great company.
x

Lady Prism said...

Thank you for the wishes. I would like to do the same as you. My little homey' here needs sparkle as well....

Have peaceful day or night...

Tinker said...

The flannel flowers look and sound lovely. As does your planned bouquet - enjoy nesting and sparkling up your home, Robyn. Lammas seems like the perfect time for that. XOXO

Everydaythings said...

Robyn - just had an idea - you have prob thought of it already....why not make a sepcial daisy garden in your garden in Daisy's memory and grow all sorts of daisy flowers there? Yes?

Sheila said...

The Flannel flowers look so pretty, and I like the idea that they evoke memories or your childhood.
We have a plant that looks similar here, called 'snow in summer', the petals are a little different.
Celebrating Lammas, with a wild flower bouquet, and a simple meal for the two of you sounds perfect. I know you will enjoy it.!

Peggy said...

what a pretty flower and such a lovely name it has! Hope your candlelight meal was delightful

peppylady (Dora) said...

The fannel flower is beautiful and I've seen pictures of bottle brushes and if I could grow them I would.
Depending on the year our growing season is 60 to 90 days.

I haven't done much with the sign but I know my sun sign is Aquarius, rising sign pieces and my moon sign Leo.
I just did tarot card reading for the month August.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

That sounds like such a comforting flower - I would rub it against my cheek if I could. I've never heard of this but it's beautiful.
XOXOX
Love,
Lisa

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

As for the grief, it stays with us always.....and will come out at odd times...the thing is not to fight it, feel it in that moment.
I am taking Daisy off the blog list ON my blog and putting the link in my computer faves. I constantly want to click on it to see what is new out of habit...and then it hits me.
XOXOX

A bird in the hand said...

The flannel flowers are beautiful. I love wildflowers. You reminded me of a bottlebrush drawing I did. I'll look for it tomorrow. Theu grow in California (where I once lived).

xoxo