Pages

"She seemed to come suddenly upon happiness as if she had surprised a butterfly in the Winter woods"
(edith wharton)


Thursday 28 January 2010

inner sadness and then hail

fragile heart by Colette

for me it was one of those days, that no matter how hard you try, that sad feeling inside just won't go away. you have no idea where it comes from and it doesn't matter what you do to shift it.. it lingers.. it seems just to exist in the world is a struggle. standing at the sink, gazing on the garden, knowing deep in your heart that you are indeed blessed with many things, that sadness is still there, no matter how hard you try to feel joy. voices tell you to go with the flow.. love this moment! so all you can do is go with it.. knowing that it is but just a visitor. that light will come again. like Rumi says: Welcome and entertain them all! ~ the Guest House




I read somewhere that deep sorrow is a human condition. is that so? do you get melancholy moments? moments of sadness for not a reason at all?

thankyou so much for your blogging friendship.. and for the daily comments..I truly do appreciate each and every word that you write!!
(today, my garden was devastated by hail ~ it is in ruins.. today, as I stood at my sink, gazing on my garden.. wondering why I felt so sad... maybe my soul knew the storm was coming and that was the inner sadness I had felt earlier)

12 comments:

Imogen said...

I'm so srry to hear about your garden! That must be heartbreaking when you lavish such care and love on it. Have you had a chance to inspect the damage yet? Thank goodness for Nature's wonderful powers of regeneration... hopefully things will resprout and recover, and you'll be able to take cuttings from broken off bits, and so forth.

As for days of melancholy - oh yes, I get them; doesn't everyone? And then I have a sad face (& funnily enough I've just been joking about this) so people think I'm feeling blue when all I'm doing is thinking.

amelia said...

Just my opinion!

I personally think that each and every emotion ultimately makes us stronger. Some are unpleasant and we want to hurry them out of our lives but when they're gone, we are always slightly better people. We have a slightly better understanding of where the emotion comes from and how we deal with it.

I hope you feel better soon and can get rid of the bad stuff. It really is a heavy weight...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Welcome and entertain them all" -- did Rumi ever write a bad poem? I don't think so. Thanks for introducing me to this one. Sorry to hear about the hail and your garden.

Annie Jeffries said...

I first read of this at Facebook Robyn. I am so sorry. Such is the circle of life and soon enough, you will be out there resurrecting the ruins, starting again and if possible, appreciating even more the many gifts to garden gives to you. Love, Annie

Diva Kreszl said...

I can certainly relate as sometimes sadness seems to sneak up and take me unaware. I can't always place my finger on it's origin but must learn to let it stay and then rejoice when it takes leave!

laoi gaul~williams said...

i have come to take these sad days and ride with them~sometimes they last longer than a day but i go with it, trying not to feel guilty and trying too hard not to seek out its source~i believe they are parts of the great cycle of being and essential
{hugs}

Fire Byrd said...

If we didn't have the sad days how would we know the happy ones. The sadness will pass, like a huge wave breaking on the shore.It rolls in and rolls out and there is nothing any of us can do to stop it.
Where BTW is the moon right now? I haven't seen it all this month due to unremitting cloud. But I know it affects you badly sometimes.
xx

Janet said...

I'm so sorry about your garden. Hail is so destructive....but I'm sure it will all grow back and be beautiful again with you to help it along.

I don't have too many melancholy days anymore....lots when I was younger. Now I just enjoy each day and try to find something to be happy about.

Anonymous said...

A devasted garden? Oh no!! That's bound to make you miserable. Damn hail!! I'm sorry you feel sad Robyn. Wish we could all surround you in a giant hug, then go out and inspect the damage with a cup of tea. I like Mandy's analogy about the huge wave.The aural imagery is good too, with the quiet receding water. Quiet times of reflection, not a bad thing,but certainly one hopes for days where the water just sparkles...that's what I'm wishing for you!(((hug))))))))

gma said...

It is so weird that the weather sometimes changes with our moods. Or is it the other way around? Anyway...yes I get very sad for no reason at all some times.Tomorrow the sun will shine through.
sending Love

Sheila said...

I think my moods are tied in with the weather. And yes, melancholy does descend unexpectedly at times.
We had a brutal hail storm last summer that shredded my trees, but they bounced back after a couple of weeks.
I agree with your friend ..red wine helps..
;o)
hugs
xx

A bird in the hand said...

Always remember that life is fluid, never static. These feelings come and go, and you float with them. Knowing that helps in those moments of sadness that drift through your soul once in a while.

xoxo