Pages

"She seemed to come suddenly upon happiness as if she had surprised a butterfly in the Winter woods"
(edith wharton)


Wednesday 11 February 2009

a forced break away but before I go... trapped in my vacuum cleaner:

no, not this statue.. he sits on my verandah... but in my vacuum cleaner is the largest and ugliest spider you have ever set eyes on. I was vacuuming my wooden floors this morning when I looked up and saw a spider about as big as a dinner plate.. well almost as big. I grabbed the vacuum and proceeded to chase it all across the ceiling with the nozzle... hitting chandeliers and hanging baskets as I went. Finally I got it, sucked it up and stuffed the nozzle with a teatowel.. now what to do? I know it is not nice to kill living things but it is different with spiders and snakes I think.. I did tell mister spider that I was sorry.. as i vacuumed him up.. I told him that I have grandbabies crawling around sometimes.. and he didn't fit into the scheme of things.. that's ok, isn't it? Or will I be banished to hell for my transgression, maybe having karma notched against me

and my forced break away? oh lord. I am getting a new computer..today I must take this one to have my iTunes library installed onto the new one as i don't trust myself to transfer it all without causing complete and utter chaos. Already I am hyperventilating with just the thought of being away from blogging even for a few days....
in the meantime, life will still go on here at Inglewood as usual. I will still have my porridge sprinkled liberally with brown sugar, in my nana's floral bowl for breakfast. I will still try to find something delicious that I can create for dinner and I will still most probably have a nap on my gorgeous old cane settee, most probably tucked under the old comforter because today it is cold and raining.. the temp has dropped to 15C which is about 60F (my method of calculating the temp. was taught to me by a New Yorker.. I double my Celsius temp and add 30)..... I might even get the chance to tidy up my bookshelf in the room where my computer lives....

14 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

So glad to here your weather is cooling down a tad bit.
Like a lot of people and me to. How are the fires going.
I've seen Forrest fires and they are sure a powerful force.

Coffee is on.

Tracy said...

Congrats on the new computer. You will be missed while you're away! :)

Tori said...

I hope your new computer is awesome! Maybe a break won't be bad? You could start a new project in that time! I wouldn't be able to transfer iTunes either... when I got this computer I had to wipe my iPod and start over. Best of luck. <3

Wendy said...

Well that's a much more comfortable temperature! What a relief! Too bad about the spider. I wouldn't worry about karma - I'd have vacuumed it up too!

Everydaythings said...

I'm on mozzie laert - since the reno all the doors are fully open all day letting in lots of lovely flying things that buzz around all all night......haate it when they buzz in your ears!!! I am convered in bites, and so out with the mortein tonite!!!!mozzies beware!!

Amy said...

Was it a poisonous one? hmm...oh it's been so hot here too, we've had rain thank goodness but the humidity level is about 100% - unbearable...but still could be alot worse. I'm praying for the bush fire victims, I can't imagine what they're going through...

Genie Sea said...

Oh! glad to hear the temp has dropped! Phew!

As for the spider... I would have done the exact same thing. Spiders be gone! :)

Fire Byrd said...

I'm glad the temperature has dropped at long last. Is it due to stay for a while or have you more hot weather forecast?
Enjoy your new computer when you get to play with it.
hugs
xx

Kathryn Knoll said...

Some Native American people highly value the spider. One of their creation stories is about how grandmother spider weaves the world each day to keep it in existence and when she goes into hibernation for part of the year the children everywhere are encouraged to get their little string games out (we call it cat's cradle) and finger weave while they play, until her return so that the world can continue to exist. When ever I see a spider I try to capture it and release it to the out of doors. Usually they co-operate and go with me. Sometimes the kinship model breaks down when our fears creep in. I once did a pipe prayer down by the river in Sedona, one night. The next day I found out the place had been harboring some rattle snakes. I think I was protected. When one came out and slithered toward our camp we tried to re-direct it with a looong stick and told everyone else near by of its presence so that everyone would be careful. It all worked out well that day. No body freaked out and over reacted. There are times when I inadvertently do vacume one up and then I apologize. There are others who just say: " what's the big deal? It's just a bug for Christ's sake.!" Indeed!

Anonymous said...

I am TERRIFIED of spiders, absolutely terrified. I don't like to kill them either though but sometimes ...if it's me or them...I'm afraid it's them. Sadly.

P.S. How exciting, a new computer!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a huge drop in temperature. Please be careful you won't catch a cold !!
I will miss you on your break and hope you will return real soon !!!

linda may said...

G'Day Rob,
Just last week we were cursing the heat and today it is cool enough to put our jumpers on. Madness.
Spiders do not live in my house for very long either especially those giant huntsmen ones. Nowdays I can squish them but I used to have a phobia and not be able to walk in the room if I thought there was one in there. I had to cure that myself when my kids were little and watching me.
Good luck with the new puter.

amelia said...

I love porridge for breakfast!!

How are the fires and how is the heat there now?

I can't bear killing a spider and alway's put them outside and if I vaccuum one by mistake I take the bag outside and empty it on the gound and let the little thing go.

After all, they are only doing what they were put here to do!!!

gma said...

I always want to protect my grandbabies from things too.
Then they turn around and eat poop or something.