Pages

"She seemed to come suddenly upon happiness as if she had surprised a butterfly in the Winter woods"
(edith wharton)


Monday 2 June 2008

the beginning of winter, the wandering of a mind and Angelica...

John Everett Millais - autumn leaves.

Let's start with Saturday: the gorgeous last day of autumn... crips air, blue, blue sky... a final fling by Mother Earth... I cooked and gardened... in preparation for the morning tea on Sunday... pasta for dinner and an early night.... I woke bright and early to set up, looked out the window and the first thing that escaped my mouth was an expletive... yes, I am sad to say... you see it was raining...misty and raining - Mother Earth welcoming the first day of our winter....... not much I could do, so I grinned and bore it and the day went off well..... after lunch we went for a ride along Cliff drive in Katoomba.. not much of the view could be seen but as I sat on the back of the bike, I inhaled the fresh smell of the wet eucalypts and let the mist soak into my soul, the trees in the mist, hung over the roads which to me looked like forest paths, leading of to who knows where... the mist kept the final destination hidden.... it was eerily familiar.... not the same but similar to something I am sure I have experienced in a past life.... misty, damp and cold..... but glorious..... I actually began to wonder about the rain and how or rather why it happened to rain on the day that I had prayed that it be sunny. Did God not hear me? Or was my prayer not important in the scheme of things? but then I got to thinking that maybe I didn't really believe that anyone 'up there' was listening to my prayers, so in not believing, I kind of negated the prayer anyhow. Or was it me manifesting rain cause in the back of my mind all I could hear was my mother saying 'you mark my words, it will rain... every time our family organises something, it rains, never fails'.... so was it a childhood conditioned thought that manifested this rain? Lord, who knows... it rained.. full stop. But the day was brilliant in other ways!

ANGELICA: (sun, fire) The root carried in a blue cloth bag is a protective talisman. Was considered to be under the guard of angels and a preventive against plague. The whole root in a blue or white cloth bag protects against evil. When desiring nighttime communication with angels, keep angelica, the herb of the angels, on your bed table. Grow in gardens as a protection.
According to one legend, (European-angelica) Angelica was revealed in a dream by an angel to cure the plague (hence the name Angelica or Archangel). All parts of the plant were believed effective against evil spirits and witchcraft. It was held in such esteem that it was called 'The Root of the Holy Ghost.' In America it was used by the Iroquois and other tribes as Witchcraft Medicine, an infusion of smashed roots was used as wash to remove ghosts from the house.


Faeries love Angelica ~ see what is going on in the Enchanted Forest!! -->
come visit Faery Land xo

10 comments:

Peggy said...

Sounds rain or no rain you had a wonderful weekend.

Suzie Ridler said...

I hear you! We have only had one weekend of sunshine since we moved here five months ago! My husband was away at sea and didn't believe me that we had one and I don't blame him. I hope that you get some crisp fall/winter weather soon to make your outdoor adventures a little more comfortable. I can't wait for things to warm up here (spring is sooooo late here!) so I can get my tomatoes, strawberries and raspberries in the ground. I'm guarding my basil tightly, I may keep it inside.

laoi gaul~williams said...

we have a drift of warm drizzle falling here too :) not quite low enough to hide our little valley though...

Cat said...

Adversity makes success all the sweeter.

gma said...

I think the rain and mist was what you needed that day...sometimes our prayers are answered even though it's not the answer we wanted. Would love to have experienced the ride through the mist and eucalyptus forest with you.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It was a beautiful weekend and rain clouds all over the place.
But it sure sounds like a rain a coming my way.
I think God/dess hear us but we as mortal sometime loose our baring on which way or how things should go.

Ruth said...

Maybe there's a lesson here about `going with the flow' - literally!

A bird in the hand said...

It's that kind of weather here, today. Nataure has her own agenda; I don't believe prayers would help :)))

xoxoxoxo

Rowan said...

Cold, damp, misty - sounds like England:) Glad the tea went well anyway. I think for good causes people will turn up in spite of the weather.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about the herb Angelica, Robyn. In my country herb patch it was always the most glossiest, happiest, and stately of the herbs.My husband bought me a trailer of manure from under the shearing boards of a local shearing shed (in my whacky way I thought it was a better gift of love than a bunch of flowers, seeing it was back-breaking work to do it). The herbs loved it, and always around the photos I have of the angelica were little orbs of light.It was a magical little place.